Marslander® – Next Generation ITSM Simulation
Business simulations are ideal to start changing the mindset and culture of employees before or during an ITSM Next Generation journey in your own company.
The MarsLander® business simulation is a powerful way to stimulate a new way of thinking within the IT Organization. It also shows in one interactive day the essence of ITSM Next Generation practices such as ITIL®4 or VeriSM™.
The simulation can help create a dialogue and help employees better understand how to improve their own way of working from where they are now (traditional Service Management) towards a Next Generation Service Management with a more Agile and Lean approach, not as a large implementation project but in small incremental steps and based on their own motivation.
The narrative of the day is that you will be ‘working’ in the digital-service team of SPACE-Y. A company that sells data collected from their space missions, to customers such as universities and research centres. The mission of your team is clear: “Launch a rocket with MarsLander®, deploy it on Mars and collect valuable data for universities and research centres”.
These events are exclusively for your company or team. We deliver these sessions at our locations or yours, specifically for your delegates and your needs. Another delivery option is to do it online.
The actual event is embedded into a three-step approach.
1: Intake. Prior to the onsite/ online simulation we determine in collaboration with you the most important learning outcomes
2: Delivery. During the simulation the facilitator will coach/ challenge the team. Learning by experiencing is very effective
3: Capture takeaways. “’Strike while the iron is hot’. What did the delegate learn, how he/ she is going change and how will the team take actions?
The simulation is designed for roles inside and outside of IT:
- Employees of IT (Operations) teams can explore how a more service-oriented way of working can make their work more enjoyable and better.
- IT Managers and team leaders can learn how to coach and facilitate their teams towards high performing teams.
- Development teams can experience how to work together with IT Operations Teams
- Business roles can experience how their roles may change if the organization starts to work in a more Agile and Lean way of working
- ITSM specialists learn what can be the value of working in an Agile and Lean way; how to make ITSM practices such as ITIL® and VeriSM™ more responsive and fit for use in this new environment of rapid, unpredictable change in which solutions must be deployed rapidly, yet safely.
This simulation also helps IT Operations teams to take the next steps towards alignment with the DevOps philosophy and ITIL® Practitioner guiding principles.
This simulation is about exploring and experiencing how you can transform your current IT organization into a more Agile and Lean organization based on ITSM Next Generation principles such as ITIL®4, VeriSM™, Agile Service Management to name but a few. The following aspects will be experienced and discussed:
- What is the essence of ITSM Next Generation?
- How can we increase speed by improving flow of work?
- How can we integrate vendors into our services?
- How to work closer together with development?
- How to continuously improve our service by using the principle of ‘Minimal Viable Services’?
- How to become a flexible service organization that responds rapidly to changing demands?
- How to become more customer focused, and develop this ‘customer thinking’ into our teams?
- How to effectively manage workload (end-to-end) and how to reduce unplanned work?
- How to increase customer and employee satisfaction?
- How to use ITSM Next Generation capabilities to deliver business value?
- How to apply continual improvement as an end-to-end capability?
- How to use the principle of ‘Co-creation/ to design and transfer new services?
Since this simulation is aimed at exploring and experiencing a new way of working this simulation does not require any specific knowledge to participate. You will be introduced to any relevant ITSM Next Generation theory such as ITIL®, VeriSM™ or Agile Service Management between rounds as appropriate in line with the required learning objectives for your simulation.
- Online group size optimal 7
- Onsite group size optimal 12
- Sufficient space for Onsite sessions
Our Training Locations
|USA & CANADA||INDIA||SOUTHEAST ASIA||MIDDLE EAST & AFRICA||EUROPE|
|Dallas||Hyderabad||Bandar Seri Begawan||Dubai||Amsterdam|
|Boston||New Delhi||Pulau Ujong||Dammam||Rotterdam|
|New York||Gurgaon||Bangkok||Johannesburg||The Hague|
|Fort Lauderdale||Noida||Hanoi||Addis Ababa||Utrecht|
- Lectures 0
- Quizzes 0
- Duration 50 hours
- Skill level All levels
- Language English
- Students 0
- Assessments Yes
Launch and Hardy IV encounter
In this round, the flight plan will bring the spacecraft into an orbit around the Earth and on a flight path towards the tail of the comet Hardy IV. The mission must collect valuable data from Hardy IV and send it back to Earth so that Universities and Research Centers can study this data. The Customers may raise new demands, issues may occur and the flight course may have to be changed. After this round, the team will explore opportunities to improve and design the next ‘release’ of the service. In this round the team will execute 2 sprints in which the team can deploy new features or/and implement new services. Between the 2 sprints, the team will perform a Continual Improvement cycle.
Heading to Mars
During this round the team will have made changes in the way of working, made updates to their services and have responded to the changing demands from customer. The team will now experience how they can increase flow, avoid rework and create better and faster responses to changing demands. In this round Emerging Technology and Continuous Deployment will be introduced. The flight will reach Mars and the Spacecraft will have to make two orbits around Mars to collect new data. But how do we respond if the customer suddenly wants new features such as 4K movies from the landscape of Mars and a different format of graphical output of the data? Did we integrate the vendors in our teams? Did we implement some service automation solutions to increase our performance? Did we ensure quality was built in and integrated testing performed? Can the teams respond rapidly ‘end-to-end’ to deploy a manageable solution? If not, we may have to update and improve our services. If we don’t we may lose to our competitors as customers have other choices.
Exploring the landscape of Mars
After the final improvement cycle, we are fully prepared for this final round. The MarsLander has landed on Mars and starts its 2 exploration trips. Have all issues been solved to guarantee that data can be collected as agreed and on time? Did we align with the vendors to be sure we have enough capacity to send and store data? Did we deliver all requested features on time and are we able to support them? Did we improve the multifunctional teams by sharing knowledge and experience? This round is the last opportunity to achieve our mission goals before we put MarsLander into sleeping mode. This is the moment to celebrate the success of the mission, and demonstrate that by applying ITSM next generation practices we can deliver business value.